Sunday, October 4

A day at the races!

Weekends are not for sitting still in our household, apparently. This was probably one of the busiest Sundays for us, but completely fun. Jack participated in not one, but TWO, races today!

Race #1: A while back, I considered running the 5 mile race offered as part of the Portland Marathon, but quickly changed my mind when I saw that there was also a "Kid's Marafun." (Whew, I don't have to run 5 miles. Yet.) The Marafun is 2 miles and I just knew Jack would be up for it. He has an abundance of energy and I was confident that he would be fine running that distance. And I was right! He ran the ENTIRE race, only stopping once when we were offered something to drink. He did awesome and it was so fun to do this together!

Before the race!

Still running and smiling at the finish!

Whoo-hoo, we did it!

Race #2: After finishing our race, we sped on over to Alpenrose Dairy to watch Erick in his own race: cyclocross! We didn't make it in time to see him race, but we did get to watch a bit of the other races that were going on as part of the River City Bicycles Cross Crusade. While we were there, Erick asked Jack if he wanted to ride his bike in the Kiddie Cross and he got an emphatic YES! So we had to rush home, eat a quick lunch, get Jack's bike, and head back to the race. In the Kiddie Cross, the kids ride the same course as the adults but only do one lap instead of four. One lap around the course is just over 2 miles which would be in addition to the 2 miles he ran this morning. Like I said before, he has an abundance of energy, this kid.

Erick post-race. This was his first time doing cyclocross and I think he's hooked now. He did great!


At the starting line . . .

. . . around the corner . . .

. . . up a small hill . . .

. . . then up a super BIG hill . . .

. . . over a barricade . . .

. . . got one tire over -- apparently his bike weighs more than Erick's . . .

. . . almost done . . .

. . . and FINISHED!

As soon as he was done with the race the first words out of his mouth were "I want to do that again!" Wow, what a fun day. And what a kid.

No comments:

Post a Comment