So happy she has caught the reading bug like her mommy.
Last summer, we decided to start stepping up our efforts in teaching Kaitlin how to read. I bought a series of books that focused on sight words, or those words that Kindergartners should know on sight. Not only did she master these little books, she has surpassed them and moved on to chapter books all on her own. I am not even kidding! We have no idea how she basically taught herself how to read. I really wish we could take all the credit, but unfortunately, she is a victim of the "second child syndrome" where she might not get read to as much as Jack did when he was her age. But whatever we do read to her, it must really sink in that little sponge of a brain she has. In this picture she is reading one of Jack's "Diary of a Wimpy Kid" books and while she can't read every word, she surprises me with what words she can read. My kids never cease to amaze me!
[Note: The drawback of her reading Jack's books, such as Diary of a Wimpy Kid or Captain Underpants, is that she repeats things that you really don't want to hear coming out of a little girl's mouth. Eight-year old boy humor is best for eight-year old boys! So I'll be looking for something a little less potty-humor and a little more girly.]
No comments:
Post a Comment